1 lb ground beef (I use 80/20 or ground chuck)
1/4 to 1/3 cup chopped onion (frozen or fresh)
1 clove elephant or 3 cloves regular garlic, chopped roughly
5 tsp (or 1 Tbsp & 2 tsp) chili powder
1 29 oz can crushed tomatoes
1 15 oz can tomato sauce
3 15 oz cans no salt red kidney beans
1/2 tsp baking soda (optional; cuts the acidity of the tomato)
1 cup water
- Using 6-quart stockpot (or equivalent) on medium heat, cook ground beef with garlic and onion until no red remains. Drain fat.
- Add crushed tomatoes and tomato sauce, rinsing out cans minimally, reserve water.
- Rinse kidney beans in a colander to remove packing juice, add to pot.
- Add chili powder, incorporate well. Add baking soda, mix well.
- Add reserved water, cover and cook for 45 minutes to an hour, stirring occasionally.
- Serve over crackers or noodles, I use grated cheese for garnish.