Sometimes there’s just not enough Motrin
This past fall I was informed by my web hosting company that they were upgrading their servers, and would eventually be moving all the accounts that they host to a new upgraded platform. The process was going to take the better part of 6-8 months, and when the time came for my account to be moved, I’d be informed by email. Well, that time arrived last week, and I received the rather lengthy email with a veritable mountain of information. I have more than a few domains that I’ve purchased over the years, and many of those domains also have sub-domains (like this blog for instance).
It’s not enough that they’re going to be moving/upgrading the hosting, they’re upgrading/moving the emails associated with the accounts as well. Since I use Mozilla’s Thunderbird program for corralling my emails, I had to do a little surgery on how the program interacts with the server to collect them. That was the easy part. The difficulty came when the respective domains were moved to the new server.
On the previous server, when you set up your domain, it was pretty straightforward. If you wanted to upload (FTP) your site, you designed your pages and uploaded them right to the main directory of your website. Bim bam boom, easy. With the new system, you have to use a sub-directory that they’ve installed called ‘public_html‘. All of your files are now there. One extra step. For a normal everyday website that’s not a problem, because the way they set it up internally. If one were to type in http://www.website.com, the server forwards the subdirectory’s contents to the main, and you see the website that you wanted to view. As I discovered, it doesn’t work that way with WordPress.
Basically, it took me the better part of 2 nights to resurrect this blog, because of the problem with the subdirectory. Add in the fact that my hosting server is in Germany, so there’s a 5-6 hour time difference depending on when they enact Daylight Savings Time. Too, their troubleshooters primarily speak German, not English, so everything has to go through a translator. Finally (there’s always one more thing, right?) the database that WordPress relies on for much of the nuts and bolts of how it works was missing. I emailed the server troubleshooters several times about it and they finally sent me a screenshot of the old server, in my account, and it wasn’t there either. Referenced to in the WordPress admin file, but the database was just gone. Or, at least I thought it was. After looking a little closer at the details of all the databases, I discovered that the one I was looking for was there, but for some inexplicable reason, the identifying code had changed. Another cup of tea, a little more angst, and some time spent working with the Vaultpress people associated with Jetpack, and I had it all humming again. It’s still running a bit sluggish a week later, but it’s working. And that’s what’s important.