Olive Garden Knockoff Pasta E Fagioli (soup)
Yield: 8 servings Prep Time: 10-12 minutes Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- 1 cup ditalini pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound Italian sausage links, casing removed (my personal preference is sweet, FWIW)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 4 cups of chicken broth (or stock)
- 1 (16 oz) can of diced tomatoes (or use fresh, your preference or seasonal possibility)
- 1 (15 oz) can of tomato sauce (or fresh if you prefer)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda (optional) [I have acid reflux and this helps nullify the acidity of the tomatoes]
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- Kosher salt & pepper to taste
- 1 (15 oz) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz) can Great Northern beans, drained and rinsed
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain well and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add Italian sausage and cook until browned,
about 3-5 minutes, making sure to crumble the sausage as it cooks. (I use a potato masher) Drain excess fat and set aside.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the stockpot/Dutch oven. Stir in garlic, onion, carrots, and celery. Cook, stirring
occasionally, until tender, about 3-4 minutes.
- Whisk in chicken broth/stock, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, basil, oregano, thyme, Italian sausage, and 1 cup of water (I use water
to clean out the tomato cans and add that to the mixture), season with salt & pepper, to taste. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer,
covered, until the vegetables are tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Stir in pasta and beans, simmer until heated through.
- Serve immediately.