1 lb Italian sausage patties (I prefer mild)
6 Tbsp chicken base
4-5 Russet or white potatoes washed and sliced lengthwise
1/2 cup chopped onion (fresh or frozen)
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups (or so) chopped kale [detach from stems before chopping]
4 quarts water (I use filtered or spring)
2 cups half & half or heavy cream
8 slices of bacon roughly chopped
salt & pepper to taste
- Place water in large (8 qt at least) stockpot on med-high heat. Pull kale from stems and chop in food processor on pulse. Add to boiling water and cook for 30 minutes.
- Add chicken base to kale and water mixture.
- Cook sausage patties in skillet, breaking up using a potato masher or spatula. Drain fat and reserve in 200°F oven to keep warm. In same skillet cook bacon until mostly crispy but not overdone. During the last 6 minutes of cooking bacon, add the onion and garlic. Add to pan in oven and keep warm.
- Wash and slice potatoes (leave skins on) lengthwise. Add to kale/water/base mixture at the 30 minute mark and cook until done, approximately 20 minutes. When potato slices break apart, they’re done.
- Add contents of pan from the oven.
- Add 2 cups of half & half or heavy cream. Bring to temperature.
- Check for taste and serve.
Prep Time: 45 minutes Cooking Time: approx 1 hour Servings: Quad batch